Thursday, January 29, 2009

Goddamn Headache

In class we were given small cards of various images of people and were asked to write a monologue based on it.
This is mine.

These kids give me such a headache. I have to stay up all hours giving these damn rugrats more toys than they deserve. And do you think they're ever really satisfied? No. Give them a train set and they wish there were more pieces. Give them a toy car and they want a different colour. Give them a doll and they want more clothes. Goddamn ungrateful.
You think I like being at their beck and call? I've got such a goddamn headache. That's why you always see me with a coke bottle. Cola shmola. I'm drinkin' whiskey. Makes the pain alllll go away. Makes the kids' voices shut up, too. Goddamn kids. Goddamn never having kids and I've got my wife giving me hell for never giving her any kids. Ain't my fault we never had any. No man in his right mind would sleep with that woman. Haven't found her desirable in years. Let herself go. I think she's cheating on me, too. Goddamn elves. Always wanting more from me. More pay, more vacation time. What the hell do they need money for? They're elves in the North Pole. Where the hell'd they go?
Goddamn my head is pounding. You'd think there'd be a bottle of aspirin around here. But no. "We can't have any drugs around here," she says. "Think of the image we have," she says. "You've gotta think of the children," she says. Why the hell should I? I'm stuck in this goddamn job for the rest of my goddamn life and I've got no idea when I'm gonna die.
Goddamn headache.

1 comment:

Rebecca Werkmeister said...

Best monologue ever? I think.